Browse By Category
COMPONENTS OF A SOUND WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM
Complete the checklist to determine how many components the plan you are considering has.
· Based on food (not pill, products, etc.)
· Includes all food groups: Reduces calories but does not eliminate and/or emphasize any one dietary component
· Avoids skipping meals: Promotes eating at regular intervals beginning with breakfast
· Provides guidance on how to eat at parties and away from home
· Teaches how to plan menus and recipes
· Keeps your cultural needs in mind
· Adapts to your habits and tastes
· Teaches you to make positive and healthy behavior changes
· Includes goals that are reasonable and can be maintained
· Addresses mind-body connections (such as how to identify emotional eating vs. real hunger)
· Includes a plan if relapse were to occur
· Encourages or provides social support
Realistic and Safe Weight Loss Goals
· Initial weight loss goals of 5 to 10% of your current body weight
· Slow and steady weight loss of ½ pound to 2 pounds per week
· Includes a plan to keep the weight off after you have lost it
· Promotes regular physical activity
· Offers tips to increase moderate-intensity physical activity
Other Items to Consider
· Does the program recognize that maintenance of a healthy weight requires lifelong changes in habits?
· Can you eat this way for the rest of your life?
· Is the program run by a team of trained and/or licensed health professionals?
What can I do?